Lifebuoy's goal is to provide affordable and accessible hygiene and health solutions that enable people to lead a life without fear of hygiene anxieties and health consequences… people everywhere, regardless of the boundaries of nationality, religion, social-economic status etc.
Improving health & hygiene for over 100 years
Lifebuoy is one of Unilever's oldest brands, a brand that was truly 'global' before the term 'global brand' was invented. Lifebuoy Royal Disinfectant Soap was launched in 1894 as an affordable new product in the UK, to support people in their quest for better personal hygiene. Soon after launch, Lifebuoy soap traveled across the world, reaching countries such as India, where even today it is still the market leading brand.
Lifebuoy saves lives
Consistent in Lifebuoy's 110+ year history has been its championing of health through hygiene. The brand's core promise of protection and a commitment to support life through unbeatable protection is at the heart of the brand name itself – Lifebuoy, the guarantee of protection when you are threatened. For example, a 1930's campaign in the US was titled 'Clean hands help guard health', encouraging the use of Lifebuoy soap to kill the germs on hands that can cause health issues. A similar campaign continues today, with Lifebuoy hygiene education programmes ongoing in countries including India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Lifebuoy Launch in ESA
The mandate was to drive employee re-appraisal of the new lifebuoy mix as an excellent choice for the discerning consumer, generate employee excitement and get employees to support the new mix be passionately involved. It achieved much more than that….the level of excitement and engagement was excellent! Employees turned up in huge numbers ushered by the lifebuoy nurses. The message “Welcome to a new clean world” was clearly branded at the main gate and reception. It was an event full of fun activities like hand washing demo, lifebuoy quiz, skit by employees, blindfold sniff test plus lots of gifts and dancing!
Employees were engaged in securing support from customers for instore space through negotiation, organise for effective distribution of Point Of Sale (POS) and hot spots for branding and avail new stock for promotion. We managed to transform over 400 outlets comprising of hypermarkets. Large, medium and promotional small supermarkets.
Promotion girls were recruited and trained and promotional merchandise was availed. There was intense communication through TV, radio, outdoor and print media with Yvonne Chaka Chaka being lifebuoy’s Africa ambassador!
Did you know?
Lifebuoy has always played a role in times of crisis, helping to prevent the spread of germs and disease:
- During the Blitz of London in 1940, Lifebuoy soap provided free emergency mobile washing facilities to Londoners. Lifebuoy vans were equipped with hot showers, soap and towel
- In the aftermath of the Tsunami in Asia in December 2004, Lifebuoy bars were a key element in the relief packages distributed in Southern India, Sri Lanka and Indonesia to help prevent the spread of infectious diseases so endemic in the aftermath of such disasters
- In 2005 over 200 000 bars of Lifebuoy soap were donated to UNICEF and the International Committee of the Red Cross to support their earthquake relief operations in Northern India and Pakistan
Since 2000, major changes have been made to the classic Lifebuoy soap bar to ensure that it provides improved hygiene protection and a more enjoyable healthy washing experience for its billions of consumers.
- Lifebuoy's classic hard red brick shape has been replaced with a new signature Lifebuoy shape. The new shape makes the bar easier to grip and use
- The Lifebuoy team have developed a new formulation providing even better germ protection which creates a rich lather on the skin
- Lifebuoy's characteristic medicated, carbolic smell has been replaced with a more enjoyable and contemporary 'health' fragrance
- Lifebuoy has become more than just a red bar of soap – today the brand provides hygiene and health solutions for families, including a range of bar soaps, hand wash liquids and liquid shower gels. The most recent Lifebuoy innovation addresses the number one skin hygiene and health concern for teens and tweens: oily and acne prone skin. Lifebuoy Clear Skin is a bar soap formulated using radical new technology that is clinically proven to reduce even severe acne, by 70% in 6 weeks. Regular use, twice a day is proven to prevent and reduce the recurrence of acne
- Today Lifebuoy is sold in Asia and parts of Africa. It is market leader in every Asian market where it is sold
- Lifebuoy soap has been proven in laboratories to provide 100% more effective germ protection than ordinary soaps
- To date, 70 million people in rural India alone have experienced Lifebuoy's pioneering Health Education programme – the single largest private hygiene education programme in the world
- In 2005, Lifebuoy was awarded a 'Citizen Brand' accolade in Indonesia in recognition of the work the brand has undertaken in hand wash education
- Nearly half of the Lifebuoy brand's consumption is in rural Asia, where most of the population live on less than US$1 per day
From our range